Brief: Manage all family members' health records, especially during the infant and pregnancy period
Field: Product Design, UX/UI, APP
Role: Teamwork | Product Designer & UX Designer
Duration: 6 weeks | 2016
Our company developed an iOS/Android application aiming to help women manage their and their babies' medical records as well as offering users online medical consulting service. However, some persistent problems troubled me and even impaired users' passion for using the application. Complicated and confusing interactive operations, vague information structure, inefficient user interface were essential exiting issues. Our active users were losing because of the terrible user experience. Our product team decided to redesign the application especially the home tab and health profile tab and related functions.
I was assigned to charge the health profile redesign. I redesigned the health profile tab and associate functions independently, including analyzing existing problems, persona, scenarios, function structure, workflow and wireframe, user interface, and product specification.
The former main page of the health profile tab is shown below. It was the most terrible page of this function module. Based on user activity analysis and feedback of user interview, we found users bearly opened the tab and they left the page very quickly even they opened it. Because the page did not provide any useful information at first sight. The main page almost destroyed user experience, even the most of subpages of the tab were well-designed.
Former Interface & Problems
All design and UX writing within the app focused on female users. But I found that sometimes fathers would register and use the app to manage their baby as well. And our app did not provide any functions for them. It was true that our business focused on pregnant women and infants, but the fundamental concept of medical records management is similar, so I started to think whether the design can be more universal to suit all members of a family including mother, father, and kid(s).
According to the original design and our current users, our majority of users were women who can be divided our target users into three main groups, (1) women who are planning to have a baby, (2) women who are pregnant, (3) women who already have a baby/babies. These groups could overlap. Then I created personas for the three groups.
As I mentioned above, we did have some male users. In a family, the mother is not the only person who cares about kids, the father cares them too. So we didn't want to ignore male users even the number of them was small. I also created a persona for male users.
Important Health Data
Necessary Health Events
* Images are from the Internet
Infant and pregnancy period are so special. During these periods a lot of information needs to be concerned about and many things should be done properly to ensure baby grow healthily. In this case, a better user experience meant getting valuable information quickly. So to provide a better user experience the information should be well organized and convey to users more efficiently. As for a care provider, we hoped our users felt that they were cared at first sight.
Features and Structure
After analyzing the original features, I re-organized the features based on our user groups and profile types (personas). Some features were provided for all profile types, and some features varied from different profile types.
Workflow and Wireframe
For our new version, I still kept light blue as the theme color and choose several bright colors as sub colors to present different function modules. All texts were blueish grey. The overall visual style was clean and lively.
Below is a demo video to show how our new application helps a family of four manage all members' health record. Main user interfaces were included in the video.
* If you cannot open YouTube, please watch the video here
To evaluate my design effects, I used Umeng (a third-party data analytics platform) to monitor user behavior since May, two months before the expected release time of the product. Gathering data continued when the product was released on June 30th, 2016. Just as I expected, both the number of active users and the number of data records were increasing significantly, especially the changes in the number of head circumference records.
Results of collected data analysis suggested that how a better design led to higher user engagement.